Sunday, May 14, 2017

All Things Northern

It will be two years in September since I moved to the "north country". And it hasn't been a terrible two years; I've liked it in fact. This reality might shock some of my southern friends, and in some ways it shocks me. I mean, for how brutal the winters are, you'd think I loath it, but I don't. In truth, it's kind of been a great adventure. Not only can I now say I've lived through some of the coldest winters in the world (not joking--it gets colder here than Alaska and gets close to being as cold as Russia). But, I can also say I now have a deeper awareness and appreciation of seasons and their beautiful and distinct changes and the nuances that accompany each shift.

Working at the Montessori school has definitely enhanced this awareness and appreciation. Even though she's been my co-teacher, Miss Shelly has been every bit as much my teacher as my contemporary. I've learned about coniferous vs. deciduous trees, perennial vs. annual plants, the definition of viviperous animals, or mammals ("mammals are born alive!") and oviperous animals ("they hatch from eggs"). It's amazing what you can remember from a children's song. Speaking of annual trees and seasons, there's an annual tree just outside our classroom window that was almost like the embodiment of the seasons. I would watch it out the basement window nearly everyday during restime, clinging to its swaying branches for some semblance of sanity and quiet amidst the squirmy, noisy kindergarteners who were all trying to "rest." The tree was a marker of the seasons: aflame with bronze and golden leaves in fall, before dropping each one meticulously until it was bare and snow-covered in the dead of winter, and tentatively budding with new life, then exploding into a profusion of bright purple blossoms in spring, settling into a beautiful and determined vibrant summer green that eventually faded into a late summer hue of a dusky green.

It's truly a totally different way of life up here, a way of life I never knew nor had ever experienced. Some things I have observed that seem distinctly "northern" are...

"Hot dish," not to be confused with casserole
Sayings like: "oh for cute" or "would youe ever.." or maybe more Minnesota: "oofda" & "youbetcha!"
Having a certain obession with hockey.
Chain restaurants faring much better than ethnic cuisine because it seems northerns prefer "simple" food.
Rollerblading as an actual pastime, and not just for children.
Wide-spread use of tanning beds and heavy make-up. Well, when you don't see the sun for 8 months out of the year...
Hard-working, practical and loving people. There's truly nothing like northerners. They are their own breed. But, they're a good breed, and I like them.
Auto starts for your car, because who wants to get in a cold car when it's -50, not this girl! Thanks husband.
Block heaters to plug in your car during the winter months, so your car battery doesn't freeze. Yep, that's a real thing.
Everyone "goes to the lake" on the weekends as soon as it's above 50 degrees, because locals know time is limited!
"Winter survival car kits" are not only not a joke, they are necessary if you ever get stuck in winter. No kidding. My Bible study ladies made one for me my first winter, and I needed it.
A general GET OUTSIDE as soon as it's above 50 and sunny because no one knows how long it will last. I will say, when you live through these brutal winters, it gives you a whole new appreciation for Spring and Summer and in general sun and warmth. it's a real thing.

There are many more things, and this list is by no means exhaustive, but it's the beginning of me actually recording my experiences in the "Great White North." So, here's to more adventuring, and the recording of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment